Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Socks! Lots of Socks!

SockItToMeElite
I know I say I started blogging for purely selfish motives -- ME, MY psyche, and I -- but I was so quickly welcomed and enveloped and downright comforted by everyone. Even though I say I trust nothing (ever again!), I must to a great degree trust this community. In many respects it's all I have. Going through my reader isn't just edifying, it's become a sort of security blanket -- knowing there are others out there who get it, get me, understand. The times that I see tangible evidence of a blogger doesn't just confirm that one human's identity, but reminds me that there's an army of real people out there who I consider friends.

:::sniff:::

It's with great pride that I opted to participate in Kymberli's cleverly imagined and incredibly organized "SockItToMe" party -- whereby I sent a super cute pair of socks overseas where I hope it's not eternally lost in mail hell, and I received a pair from someone else. And I thought it was a fun thing to do and really kinda emotionally stopped right there until I received a soft package in the mail.

My socks! I opened the package and the first thing I noticed was that it was the same fucking brand of socks I had sent to my sock buddy! Ha! What are the odds? Like minds and all that. But then I pulled them out and something was wrong. They were kids socks. WTF? And below them another pair . . . of matching adult socks. I was still a bit mystified, and then I read the card.

Dora, of ISO the Golden Egg sent me a pair, and a pair for Bella. I will not lie, I teared up. I read the card to Bella, and she said "Awwww," and proceeded to rip the tag off and put them on right then and there. This was so above and beyond and touching and . . . . well.

So now when Bella and I wear our funky socks, I don't just feel comfort and support -- I feel like someone out there gets me. I feel like a whole bunch of people out there are propping me up, and know what's important to me. And I'm so incredibly thankful.



Now please run over to Dora's blog because she has news. Good news.

14 comments:

Bluebird said...

Oh my gosh how perfectly precious! LOVE the socks, LOVE the thought, and LOVE the photo of all your precious feet :) Wow!

Beautiful Mess said...

How cool! Matching socks! Way to go Dora!

Coffeegrljapan said...

This was so amazing of her to do! I love it - warm fuzzies all around!!

still life angie said...

That is a great picture...big feet, little feet. and those socks are rockin' cool, peanut.

niobe said...

Awww...I hate socks, but even I have to admit those are waaay cute.

Michele said...

That is so cool!!!

Dora said...

Great picture!! Love Bella's reaction. So glad you both like them. xoxo

loribeth said...

That picture is just too cute. : )

k@lakly said...

I love that she thought of Bella too! And perfect bright, happy colors so when your not feeling so sparkly on the inside you can stomp it out with the rockin argyles on the outside!

Betty M said...

lovely socks. Cant believe I managed to miss the whole socks thing entirely.

moplans said...

I LOVE those socks!

Gretchen said...

So sweet. They look like they fit perfectly snug.

charmedgirl said...

elle: "mom! i want to see their face of that!!!"

elle: 4 wqccxxxxxxjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy
(sincerely from elle)

Magpie said...

I do so love your matchy-matchy (not) socks.