Thursday, December 13, 2007

Don't Look Now . . .

But I've been meme'd. (Sounds gross, doesn't it.) Actually, I always thought it was pronounced "ME ME," as in, "LOOK AT ME ME ME! ME! SELF PROMOTE, ME!" but apparently that's not the case. Interestingly enough, Wiki makes the analogy that a meme propagates "the way in which a gene propagates from one organism to another as a unit of genetic information and of biological evolution." So if someone has put ME in charge of this, all we can say is, uh oh. Anyway, rather thankful to have something to put up because my kid is a bit barfy (ahem) leaving me no time to do anything creative or constructive or otherwise snarky. I will in all likelihood screw this thing up and meme someone who already has been, so let me know, and I'll try and adjust on the fly accordingly. So here we go.

I've been meme'd by WhichBox (Which, is an amazing blog title, btw. Just saying). Lovely to think of me, thank you very much.

1. I'm Tash, aka ABF, or Awful But Functioning, my about me page is here, but also in full view on the side. I began this blog rather selfishly to just get some emo out because I'm sure my husband, daughter, therapist, dogs, cats, walls, and interior of my cranium are getting rather bored of the whole thing. And lo, I actually made a few friends in the process, and I'm forever grateful that I get to bounce my ideas off such smart, humorous, and equally blue people. Y'all make my day.

2. Um, I guess I'd like to be listed as a mom/family blogger? If mom = "a bit checked out, still not entirely finding unadulterated joy in my live child," and family = "Family, rather f'd up at the mo." I suppose it's better than "Health" ("Comma, Mental") (or, help us all, "Health, comma, genetics"). All things considered I'd love to be listed under sports, but that's just not happening right now, is it.

3. I've been blogging since the second week in September, just 3.5 months ago. My kid went to school, I ditched my meds, I began running again (briefly, until I messed up my foot royally), and started a blog. A flurry of self-help, if you will. I am truly, truly impressed by those with loss blogs who blog almost immediately, like, within the first 3 months. I NEVER could have done that. It really took me until September (7 months after Maddy's death) to have anything coherent to say.

4. Tagging others. I'm going to play a bit fast and loose with the "Mom/Family" title here. For starts, in my opinion (F*&K-us on the fam.bly be damned), if you're in a loving relationship with another person and live together under one roof, you qualify. Even nicer if you have pets, but I don't discriminate that way. And if you've given birth to a baby you're a mom in my book, even if the baby -- for the sake of argument, just to be hypothetical here -- died. And so my first tag is Stitched Up for the 2nd Time, who I like reading because I love how she weaves her feelings about her yoga practice into her life both practically and spiritually (Damn, do I need to start that up again), love/hate reading about her feelings about her lost son, Harvey, and plus she's in Europe. And I love reading about somewhere else. Because that's just cool. My second slightly slippery entree is Searching at Searching4Hope. Who would like to start a "family." But let's be serious here: on her job as a NICU nurse she is more a mom than many. For poor kids like Green, whose crack-addicted mother gave birth to him early and then left him at the hospital to die, Searching is the only mom this kid ever knew. Then there are the kids who are so bad off, they really need 5 moms, and she steps in and becomes mom #2. And damn, is she good at her job, at being a mom. Lastly, sadly a new blog for me because I wish I had been reading it all along -- I find myself reading and saying, "I could've written that!" is Mrs. G. at Broken Heart Diaries.

And now for the small print legalese:
*******************
BlogHer Me and Mine Meme 100 directions:

1.) State the name of your blog, your real name or your online name, and link to your "about me" page.
2.) Say you want to be profiled on BlogHer as a family blogger and link back to this Me and Mine 100 original post, here.
3.) Tell how long you've been blogging.
4.) Pass this meme on to three other bloggers that you think should be profiled/interviewed, and ask them to do the meme. (Kindly link to the bloggers you select.)

2 comments:

niobe said...

Hmmm....I've never heard of two of those blogs before. They sound interesting. Thanks for pointing them out.

Megan said...

I'm so glad you started blogging, Tash. I had to laugh at your aside that you did it selfishly, though.
This is your place - I'm just grateful you let the world listen in on your life and thoughts.
I'm going on holiday for a week and I will so miss obsessively checking you for updates.